Math Help - Add Fractions - Unreduced Answers - Game 1 Tips:
- In order to add two fractions, you convert them to the same denominator (common denominator).
- You can convert a fraction by multiplying the top and bottom by the same number.
- This is equivalent to multiplying by a one = 1/1 , which keeps the value of the fraction unchanged.
- The fraction 2/3 can be added to 1/4 by first converting 2/3 into 8/12 and converting 1/4 into 3/12.
Then you add (8/12 + 3/12) to get the answer 11/12 .
Notice, 2/3 was converted by multiplying the top and bottom by 4 , giving (2x4)/(3x4) = 8/12.
Also, 1/4 was converted by multiplying the top and bottom by 3 , giving (1x3)/(4x3) = 3/12.
- Another example: 1/4 + 5/6 = (1x6)/(4x6) + (4x5)/(4x6) = 6/24 + 20/24 = 26/24 [unreduced].
- The general rule is a/b + c/d = (ad)/(bd) + (bc)/(bd) = (ad+bc)/(bd) .
- The denominators used in this game are 2, 3, 4, 6, 7 and their multiples (up to 5x).
- It may take a minute to load the game at dial-up speeds.
- The game can be played using the mouse by itself or using the keyboard by itself.
- If the game doesn't respond to keyboard input, click inside the game area to reset the game's focus.
- Adjust the game's speed by pressing the + or - key repeatedly.