Derivative Sum Rule Practice with Powers Math Help Fun Game Tips:
- The derivative Sum Rule is used on a sum of terms such as y = u + v.
In general, the Sum Rule states that the derivative of the sum function y = u + v is y' = u' + v'.
This rule also includes the derivative of the function y = u - v , namely y' = u' - v'.
- For example, the derivative of y = (x3 + x5) is y' = (3x2) + (5x4).
- The derivative of y = (2x3 + x-5) is y' = 6x2 - 5x-6.
- This game also uses the following two rules:
1) The Power Rule for y=xn yields the derivative dy/dx = nxn-1.
For example, the derivatives of y=x4 and s(t)=t-4 are respectively dy/dx=4x3 and s'(t)=-4t-5.
2) The derivative rule for a Constant times a Function such as y=cu yields the derivative dy/dx = c(du/dx).
For example, the derivative of y=8x4 is y'=32x3.
- Note that the three symbols dy/dx, y' and f'(x) all represent the same derivative of y=f(x).
- The score report automatically appears after you have made 15 choices.
- The Math score is based on your choices only and does not count the fish hits.
- The Game score is reduced by the number of fish hits.
- The game can be played using the mouse by itself or using the keyboard by itself.
- If the game doesn't respond to keyboard input, click inside the game area to reset the game's focus.
- Adjust the game's speed by pressing the + or - key repeatedly.
- Refresh/Reload the webpage to start over again.